Wes Hickman (202-224-5972) or Kevin Bishop (864-250-1417)
- U.S. Senators Lindsey Graham and Jim DeMint announced the U.S. Senate has approved the Senate’s Fiscal Year 2007 Military Construction – Veterans Affairs Appropriations Bill
. The legislation includes more than $56 million for military construction projects in South Carolina.
“South Carolinians are very proud and very supportive of the military facilities in our state,” said Graham. “They are woven into the fabric of our community and are key components in defending our interests abroad. The projects funded in this bill recognize the contributions South Carolina makes to our military and demonstrates a commitment to providing state-of-the-art facilities for our men and women in uniform.”
“It is important that we ensure the operational readiness and quality of life for our men and women in uniform and their families,” DeMint said. “These projects in South Carolina are vital to supporting our deployed troops and their loved ones who make enormous sacrifices here at home.”
Projects in the bill include:
- $14.92 million to construct a new enlisted dining facility at the Marine Corps Air Station- Beaufort
Shaw Air Force Base, Sumter
- $10.2 million to replace the child development center at the Charleston Air Force Base
- $16 million for a new enlisted dormitory
- $9.3 million for construction and paving for an aircraft alert facility
- $6.2 million for an aircraft support equipment shop and storage
The bill must now be approved by a joint House/Senate conference committee and signed into law by the President.