WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) today reacted to the latest news on North Korea and President Trump’s decision to end the Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program with a six month delay.
Graham is the lead sponsor of the Dream Act, which would allow immigrant students who grew up in the United States to earn lawful permanent residence and eventually American citizenship. (Background: Graham, Durbin Introduce Bipartisan Dream Act to Give Immigrant Students a Path to Citizenship).
On North Korea:
- GRAHAM: “To those who say there’s no military option, you’re wrong. There is a military option at last resort. I don’t want to use it, but it’s got to be on the table because without that there will never be a diplomatic end to this.” https://youtu.be/F7FaLBDwScs?t=4m59s
- GRAHAM: “There are a lot of things we can do short of war, but I hope the President won’t capitulate to North Korea’s demands… I don’t mind sitting down with North Korea. I just don’t want them to have a nuclear weapon to hit America.” https://youtu.be/F7FaLBDwScs?t=4m31s
On DACA and the Dream Act:
- GRAHAM: “General Kelly and others could, I think, put together a very good border security plan. And of all the people in America who have credibility on securing the border, I would put President Trump at the top because he made this a central issue of his campaign.” https://youtu.be/VViJtoReAxA?t=2m46s
- GRAHAM: “I think the President was right to terminate the program [DACA] but give us six months to fix the problem.” https://youtu.be/LeK9VacPOfA?t=17s
- GRAHAM: “Here’s where the President is so helpful and important: He can help us in the House. He got the health care bill through the House by getting personally involved. I think he could be a good spokesman for this compromise of border security plus the Dream Act.” https://youtu.be/LeK9VacPOfA?t=1m50s
- GRAHAM: “When Republicans say we should not legalize people until we start addressing the fundamentals of a broken immigration system – they’re not wrong.” https://youtu.be/LeK9VacPOfA?t=2m47s
- GRAHAM: “There’s a deal to be made between the Dream Act and border security. But the President has to lead that effort in the House [of Representatives].” https://youtu.be/F7FaLBDwScs?t=2m26s
Click below to watch Sen. Graham’s full interviews from this morning.
NBC’s TODAY Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7FaLBDwScs
Fox News’ Fox and Friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeK9VacPOfA
CNN’s New Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VViJtoReAxA