Nov 02 2023
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, today made the following statements about Judiciary Democrats’ plans to issue subpoenas to Harlan Crow, Leonard Leo, and Robin Arkley II, all private citizens.
The Democrats’ initial requests for information from these individuals earlier this year were overbroad and expansive, far beyond the bounds of any reasonable investigative request. Mr. Crow offered to provide five years of information related to some of these requests, which Democrats did not accept. Mr. Leo and Mr. Arkley declined to provide any information on the grounds that it was beyond the scope of a legitimate legislative inquiry and amounted to harassment of a private citizen.
Democrats claim this is about oversight, yet it is clear these subpoenas are not about legislative fact finding. Instead, they are part of an effort by liberals opposed to the conservative Supreme Court rulings to get the court to change course. A committee vote on the issuing of subpoenas is expected to occur as early as Thursday, November 9.
- GRAHAM: “You are spending more time trying to ‘fix’ the Supreme Court than you are the border.” https://youtu.be/aQV2t4B3oxE?si=mcOVIadkB74fDfzk&t=17
- GRAHAM: “You are trying to manage the Supreme Court. I wouldn’t let you manage anything. You are trying to create a political issue that I think crosses constitutional boundaries.” https://youtu.be/aQV2t4B3oxE?si=wjM2w7XO8WO_c2pp&t=38
- GRAHAM: “The border is broken. What are you going to do about it? The mayor of New York said, today, if you come to New York you can stay here for thirty days, we are not going to pay for your stay here free forever. The mayor of Chicago is coming to the White House today to beg for money to deal with migrants that have been sent to Chicago by people in Texas and other places who are full. And we are going to be talking about subpoenaing three private citizens and getting in the Supreme Court’s business? You have lost your way.” https://youtu.be/aQV2t4B3oxE?si=VXaJL38XTs1N7h-A&t=70
- GRAHAM: “You know you are not going to get sixty votes to enforce the subpoena. Mr. Crow offered you five years and I don’t know why he offered you anything. I would have told you to go pound sand.” https://youtu.be/aQV2t4B3oxE?si=cKIsL96_UKUtwdeY&t=127
- GRAHAM: “This is a fight you want, you are going to get it.” https://youtu.be/aQV2t4B3oxE?si=fM6LYTSJvv21Hrzy&t=154