Jan 28 2005

Graham Announces Nearly $2 Million Grant to Restore Dam on Lake Moultrie

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) today announced the South Carolina Public Service Authority (SCPSA) has been awarded a grant for $1,979,507.25 to restore the Jeffries Hydroelectric Dam. Strong winds from Tropical Storm Gaston damaged the dam which is located on the southeast side of Lake Moultrie near Moncks Corner. The grant will provide for strengthening the 75-foot earthen dam with armored stone and fine filter aggregate. Five hundred feet of chain link fence will also be replaced. The total cost of this restoration project is $2,639.343. The total 75 percent federal share is $1,979,507.25. State and local governments will share the other 25 percent of the cost. The grant is from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). #####