WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, spoke in favor of protecting women’s sports at a hearing today.
Republicans called Riley Gaines, a former 12-time All-American swimmer from the University of Kentucky, and Matt Sharp, Senior Legal Counsel at Alliance Defending Freedom, to testify.
- GRAHAM: “There are a lot of people in this country very much worried about where we're headed as a nation, particularly when it comes to young girls having to compete against biological males.” https://youtu.be/LFxz19ehhwk?t=23
- GRAHAM: “You will never convince me that a biological male [Lia Thomas], who swam three years on the men’s team and transitioned for the senior year, that was fair.” https://youtu.be/LFxz19ehhwk?t=141
- GRAHAM: “This is going on all over the country. Young girls are working hard in their particular sports and on occasion they are having to compete against a biological male who has decided to transition. The evidence I think, is pretty common-sense based, that there’s an advantage." https://youtu.be/LFxz19ehhwk?t=156
- GRAHAM: “One of the questions is, is it okay for a state to ban transitions of a minor? I think it is.” https://youtu.be/LFxz19ehhwk?t=196
- GRAHAM: “I find it curious that in Europe, they’re beginning to pause, pump the brakes, and slow down laws that would allow minors to be transitioned. Because the evidence is suggesting that it’s probably not the best thing to do.” https://youtu.be/LFxz19ehhwk?t=219
- RILEY GAINES: “The number of female athletes who have been denied opportunities, traumatized, or hurt by policies that claim to promote ‘inclusion’ is growing at an alarming rate. I have heard from female athletes who have been seriously injured – one with permanent injuries that will plague her for the rest of her life – because she was forced to compete against a much physically stronger man. This is simply unacceptable and the integrity of women's sports is lost. It is unfair, and it is discriminatory. And it must stop.” Testimony