Wes Hickman (202-224-5972) or Kevin Bishop (864-250-1417)
– U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) today announced over $2.1 million in grants to Marlboro County, a local water company in Wallace and local Council of Governments (COGs) across the state.
Marlboro County will receive $1.184 million to help rebuild 4.2 miles of rail corridor. Funding will be used for building and replacing rail crossings as well as replacing rails.
The Wallace Water Company in Wallace will receive $459,000 to help expand a water line for business use. The improved infrastructure will allow for future economic growth and development in the area.
Council of Government (COG) organizations across the state will each receive $52,000 grants to assist in their industrial plans. The COGs receiving grants include:
- Lower Savannah Council of Governments in Aiken
- Central Midlands Council of Governments in Columbia
- Waccamaw Regional Planning and Development Commission in Georgetown
- South Carolina Appalachian Council of Governments in Greenville
- Upper Savannah Council of Governments in Greenwood
- Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments in North Charleston
- Catawba Regional Planning Council in Rock Hill
- Santee-Lynches Regional Council of Governments in Sumter
- Lowcountry Council of Governments in Yemassee
The Pee Dee Regional Council of Governments in Florence will receive $59,500.
The grants were awarded by the U.S. Department of Commerce.